My spin on a classic limeade, inspired by my friend Allyson (@tofuwrist). She’s always raving about matcha lemonade and while I adore lemons, I thought it would be interesting to test out the same concept with limes. Needless to say, it’s incredibly flavorful and oh so delicious! Just in time for Cinco de Mayo too. I bet these would pair beautifully with my Crispy Cauliflower Tacos or Tofu Scramble Tostadas for a total Tex Mex themed dinner.
I grew up drinking limeade pretty frequently, my dad loves citrus as much as I do. So this was a fun way to make something different, while still incorporating a familiar memory. If you’re a fan of lime, matcha and/or chia seeds – then this a winning combo you have to try!
I found that if you plan on drinking this over the span of a couple of days, it’s best to omit adding lime slices. They will get too tart and throw off the intended flavor. Instead, you could add chunks of lime to an ice cube tray and add those as desired when serving. Feel free to make this with lemons instead if limes aren’t your style. I’m curious to see if oranges could also work, I’ll have to give it a try and report back! Let me know if you give this recipe a try, I would love to hear what you think. These would also be super cute with little wedges of watermelon, if you’re serving these up during the Summer. Lime + Watermelon = AMAZING!
To dissolve the sweetener of choice easier, use warm/hot water. Stevia is very finally ground and I didn’t have any issues with it dissolving in cold water. This recipe can easily be adjusted to fit your preferred taste. Add more lime juice for a tart flavor or sugar for a sweeter flavor. It’s better to go more tart if you’re adding ice, it will dilute it slowly. If planning ahead, make a batch and freeze it in ice cube molds. Then make a second batch and serve with limeade ice cubes, to keep it full-flavored.
- 4-5 cups Filtered Water, to taste
- 6 oz. Lime Juice, fresh squeezed
- 3 tbsp Simple Truth Black Chia Seeds
- 1½ tsp Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Sweetener, to taste*
- In a small jar, combine 1 cup of water with 1 tsp of matcha green tea powder. Add a lid and shake until dissolved. Set aside until needed.
- Repeat this process for your sweetener of choice. I added 1 cup of water with 10 packets of stevia. Adjust the level of sweetness to your preferred taste.
- Freshly squeeze limes until you have 6 ounces. I used roughly 7 medium-sized limes.
- Combine lime juice with 3 tbsp of chia seeds and stir for 1 minute. Let this sit aside for about 5 minutes to allow chia seeds to expand.
- In a half gallon jar/pitcher, add 1-2 limes sliced. Continue to add in each remaining mixture. Soaked chia seeds, matcha green tea, sweetened water and top off with the remaining 2-3 cups of water. Finish with ice and serve cold.
This recipe was sponsored by Simple Truth and is free from 101 artificial preservatives and additives most commonly used. Available exclusively at the Kroger® Co. Family of Stores.