It’s September! Which means it’s officially Fall and I can start sharing more comfort-inducing recipes. Lasagna is definitely one of those meals, where you feel the love with each layer. But to keep it interesting, we’re rolling these gluten-free noodles up and adding four different components. Starting with a base of almond ricotta, topped with my absolute favorite oil-free kale pesto, a bit of walnut “meat’ for texture and a sprinkle of sunflower seed parmesan for a salty, cheezy flavor.
So stop what you’re doing and run to the store for the needed ingredients! Which should be easy to find at any Kroger or Fred Meyers location. All this month is #TasteofItaly! Where you can expect to see tons of Italian products, from speciality pasta sauces to beautiful kitchenware and noodles, lots and lots of noodles. The beauty of this lasagna is the adaptability and customization. Not gluten-free? Use any lasagna noodles your heart desires. Allergic to nuts? Omit the walnut “meat” for sautéed mushrooms and onions. Use a tofu ricotta in place of the almond and you’re good to go! The pesto and vegan parmesan do contain sunflower seeds. I’m happy to offer up suggestions for modifications, but please remember to have fun with it and know that this recipe serves as a guide for inspiration. Take from it what you will, adapt it to fit your dietary/lifestyle needs.
I hope this was helpful for those of you looking for new ideas for Fall/comfort inspired dinner recipes. This is a great option that can even be made the day before and stored in the freezer for later. Please let me know if you give it a try. I would LOVE to see your lasagna roll-up creations! You can tag me on Instagram @PlantPhilosophy and I’ll be sure to give it a “like” and leave a comment.
- 8 Gluten-Free Lasagna Sheets
- 1¼ cups Oil-Free Kale Pesto, recipe here
- Sunflower Seed Parmesan, recipe here
- 3-4 cups Tomato Sauce, your favorite
- Fresh Basil, optional
- Almond Ricotta
- 2 cups Simple Truth Blanched Almonds, soaked overnight*
- 1 cup Water, filtered (adjust as needed)
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- 1½ tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- ½ tsp Salt, to taste
- Walnut Ground "Meat"
- ¾ cups Simple Truth Walnuts
- 1 tbsp Tamari
- 1 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Salt, as needed to taste
- Start by prepping each component. You can blend up the sunflower seed parm., then blend your almond ricotta and then the walnut "meat".
- Finish with blending up the kale pesto. Doing it in this order will allow for no clean up in between, it's okay for a little bit of each one to mix with the next.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in your lasagna noodles and cook until al dente. Mine took about 11 minutes. Follow the directions on the package, minus 2-3 minutes.
- Quickly but carefully transfer each to a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. You don't want them to get mushy.
- Let sit for a minute, drain and lay each one flat on a non-stick surface.
- Create an assembly line and start by filling each with a thin layer almond ricotta.
- Top with kale pesto and the "beefy" walnut crumble.
- Finish with a sprinkle of sunflower seed parmesan and begin to gently roll. Leave a little bit of the end of the noodle uncovered.
- Add 2-3 cups of tomato sauce at the base of your baking pan. I used a x glass Pyrex.
- Lay each lasagna roll, seam down in the sauce. Cover with remaining sauce on top.
- Bake at 375 F covered for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot, with a sprinkle of sunflower seed parmesan.
Store extras, cooled to room temperature, in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
This recipe was sponsored by Simple Truth and is free from 101 artificial preservatives and additives most commonly used. Available exclusively at the Kroger® Co. Family of Stores.