Everything is better on a stick! Kicking off day 3 of my game day food recipes with something a little different. I’ve had my mind set on creating a falafel based “corn dog” for the longest time. I knew the second postseason ended that these would be perfect to share for a Superbowl party.
The great thing about these is you can prep the batter the day before and/or you could even wrap the “dogs” too and let them rest in the fridge overnight. Then bake or fry them up as needed. I added the stick at the end, to avoid burning them – obviously.
I hope you all have enjoyed the new recipes this week, I worked really hard on them and I’m so excited to watch football and have a Superbowl party with all my game day foods!
- 1 can Garbanzo Beans, drained
- ½ cup Chickpea Flour
- 2-4 Vegan Hot Dogs
- ⅛ cup Cilantro, diced
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Handful of Cilantro or Parsley, to your taste preference
- 1 tbsp Flax, ground
- 2-3 cloves of Garlic, minced
- ¼ cup Onion, diced (I used red/purple)
- 1 tsp Turmeric, ground
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, ground
- 1 tsp Cumin, ground
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Pink Salt, to taste
- Mustard, optional
- Follow my turmeric falafel recipe for the base of this. I simplified it even more and just did 15 ounces of cooked chickpeas + ½ cup chickpea flour. Then the normal seasonings mentioned, halved.
- Cut your veggie dogs in half, if you would like - these are super filling.
- Divide up your falafel mixture into 4 equal portions, flattening it out and adding in your hot dog. Then form the batter around it and make it as even as you can. Repeat until you’ve covered all 4 veggie dog pieces.
- Let those rest at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- You can either bake or fry these. Heating oil to a medium high heat and add each falafel dog in very carefully, to avoid splashing the oil.
- Let these cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until dark golden brown. Then flip and cook until the color is even on both sides.
- Let these rest on a paper towel lined plate, insert sticks once they’ve cooled a bit.
- Or preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add your falafel dogs with space between them.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve hot with dipping sauce.