Get ready to be shocked because I’m about to blow your mind with these carrot dogs. Did you ever think such a thing would exist?! Talk about creative, this idea is pure gold! No preservatives, fillers or ingredients you can’t pronounce – just carrots. I freakin’ love the minimalism of this recipe! I can’t wait to try it out with different marinades and/or toppings. I’m thinking caramelized onions, cheezy kale chips and a spicy mayo ketchup would be so delicious!
What would you put on your carrot dogs?
- 4 carrots, cut into bun lengths
- ¼ cup (60 ml) seasoned rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sesame oil (*leave out)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) coconut aminos (can substitute soy sauce; use unseasoned vinegar)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (or ½ clove garlic, minced)
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke Pepper, to taste
- Toasted hot dog bun, lettuce or collard leaves, to serve
- Heat water in a pot large enough for all the carrots.
- When it comes to a boil, turn down to medium heat and add the carrots. Cook until you can just pierce them through with a fork; you want them to have a snap when you bite into them.
- Remove from pot and run cold water over them to stop them from cooking.
- In a container with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients to make the marinade.
- Tighten the lid and shake until well mixed.
- Place the carrots in a container in which they can lie flat. Pour the marinade over them and marinate at least 3 to 4 hours, up to 24. The longer they marinate, the more vinegar flavor they take on. If you know you need to leave them longer than a day, cut the vinegar to ⅛ cup (30 ml). If the carrots are very skinny, keep the marinating time short.
- To serve, heat the carrots in a 350°F (177°C) oven, or in a grill pan on a hot grill, until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve in a toasted hot dog bun or wrapped in a lettuce or collard leaf, and pile on your favorite toppings.
Reprinted from The Easy Vegan Cookbook Copyright © 2015 by Kathy Hester. Published by Page St Publishing.