This first thought that comes to mind whenever I’m asked what my favorite seasonal fruit is, grilled peaches. Nothing compares to locally grown, fresh yellow peaches in the summertime. Something about stone fruits in the hot months brings me so much happiness. Especially when it’s super ripe and grilled, preferably outside and over a fire pit. We actually made a ton of grilled stone fruits (peaches, plums, apricots) when I was in Portland and with a drizzle of agave or maple syrup, they’re perfection! Sugar on sugar might scare some of you, trust me though, just a light drizzle really sets off the grilled fruit. A touch of mint or ginger sugar takes it even further.
Today I’m sharing a simple recipe that tastes like the best idea ever. Ripe, grilled peaches with a dollop of coconut whipped cream and topped with candied maple pecans. Of course I had to add some vanilla bean powder to the coco whip for even more flavor. The candied pecans aren’t your traditional recipe either. I actually mixed everything together and baked until gooey, like a rich caramel sauce. Then left them to cool until hardened, if you can wait that long. I totally stole a few in the cooling process though.
Not my best batch of coconut whipped cream, but I can assure you it comes out light and fluffy if you use a mixer. I went with the mason jar method and shook it until mixed evenly, alas it’s faster and less messy but does not yield the best result. So take it from me, use a blender or hand mixer to make your whipped cream. You also need to make sure you’re using full fat coconut milk, that’s been refrigerated overnight. This way the fat hardens and that’s what you use to whip and create a thick cream. Save that liquid for smoothies or baked goods. Only scrape out the hardened milk. Mix with your sweetener of choice, to your desired level of sweetness and if you want to take it even further, add in an essential oil or extract. You could even have fun and add beet juice powder to make a hot pink coco whip! I personally have made this with almond, mint and vanilla extract, all of which are wonderful depending on what you accompany it with. I recommend playing around and testing out different combos. You could even use it as a base for a coconut cream pie, adding dates to thicken it up and naturally sweeten it. But I digress, make your coconut whip and add it to everything! Perfect for topping creamy smoothies, fresh fruit or eating straight off the spoon, my preferred method of consumption.
- 4 Peaches, halved
- Candied Maple Pecans
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Mint, to garnish
- Candied Maple Pecans
- ¼ cup Pecans
- ⅓ cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Water
- Vanilla Bean Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 can Simple Truth Coconut Milk, full fat (refrigerated overnight, liquid removed)
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- ½ tsp Vanilla Bean Powder
- For the candied maple pecans, measure, mix and pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 F for 6 minutes. Turn the oven off and let sit for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and cool until hardened.
- For the vanilla bean coconut whipped cream, follow the recipe here.
- For the peaches, wash and cut in half. If you’re having trouble twisting them apart, they might not be ripe enough yet. Cut them into quarters to help remove more easily from the pit, optional.
- Heat a grill pan to medium high heat. Feel free to add a very light coating of oil if your pan sticks.
- Once hot, reduce the heat to medium and add each peach halved flat side down. Do NOT touch them, let sit to create grill marks for at least 6-8 minutes. If they start to smoke or burn, reduce your heat and gently flip.
- Depending on the texture you want, grill both sides or the flat side only. Turn off the heat and let rest in the pan for 8 minutes, to cool.
- Whip up a batch of coconut whipped cream, full recipe can be found here.
- Plate your cooled peaches, top with a dollop of whipped cream and a few candied maple pecans. Feel free to crush them or leave whole.
- Serve warm, garnished with mint.
This recipe was sponsored by Simple Truth and is free from 101 artificial preservatives and additives most commonly used. Available exclusively at the Kroger® Co. Family of Stores.