The traditional process of making caramel is one that involves tons of artificial sweeteners and dairy. Clearly I’m not a fan of either, so I decided to share a super simple alternative that’s naturally sweetened! It only requires 3 ingredients and just a few minutes to prep, depending on the texture of your dates.
This date caramel sauce is perfect for drizzling on top of ice cream, cupcakes, fruit (hello caramel apples!) and/or even lattes. It’s incredibly versatile and oh so delicious, you’re sure to make it again and again. I can’t wait to share a few extra special ways I like to use this sauce in particular – recipes coming very soon! What would you put it on/in?!
- Remove the pit from the dates and soak them in water until softened. You can do this overnight or not at all, depending on the firmness of your dates. The softer they are, the smoother the sauce.
- Measure and blend everything on high for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth. Scraping down the sides as needed. Feel free at add a pinch of salt if desired.
- Transfer to a small pot and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and let rest until completely cool, whisking frequently.
- Once cooled to room temperature, transfer to an air-tight container and chill in the fridge for up to a week.
- Serve warm or cold, drizzled over ice cream!
If you would like a thinner sauce, add more milk + water.